* Omaha Symphony's Music Director Thomas Wilkins will wave his conducting baton in front of a national television audience Wednesday, August 14th. Wilkins will conduct the New York Pops as they accompany the Blue Man Group during a performance scheduled to air on ABC's Good Morning America television program. The performance is slated to occur between 8 and 9 a.m. local time on the show. The appearance will feature a preview of material developed by Wilkins and the Blue Man Group. The entire collaborative piece will be performed at Sept. 6th and 7th at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.
* Trombonist Andy Martin will kick off the Nebraska Jazz Orchestra's 2013-2014 concert season with a concert Wednesday, October 9th at the Cornhusker Marriott, 333 South 13th St. in Lincoln. Other performances for the season will include a big band tribute and appearances by Bobby Watson and Doug Hinrichs.
* Plack Blague is planning to spread its immensely danceable brand of vile, filthy industrial electronic music all over the region during the Labor Day weekend. The Labor Blague Weekend kicks off Friday, August 30th at the Slowdown, 729 North 14th St., when Plack Blague is joined by Kansas City's sleaze rockers the Pornhuskers and Chromafrost. Then Plack Blague moves down to Duffy's Tavern in Lincoln Sunday, September 1st to play with Ruby Block and a potential secret special guest.
* Newish downtown coffee shop the Addicted Cup, 1215 Leavenworth St., will host local jazz keyboardist Paul Serrato and bassist Michael Frederickson Saturday, August 24th. The show is free and starts at 4 p.m.
* The Reader's Backbeat column seeks to cover the local music scene from all corners of the sound spectrum. Whether it's news of new bands, farewell shows, album releases or special events, the Reader's music team wants to hear from you. Got a tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.