* Saddle Creek Records is officially in the Icky Blossoms business. The record label have signed the band led by Tilly & The Wall's Derek Pressnall, local filmmaker/musician Nik Fackler and singer/keyboardist Sarah Bohling. The band has played tons of shows locally after playing their first gigs early 2011. Most recently, the band headlined a Dec. 30 show at the Slowdown, 729 N. 14th St. The band are set to enter the studio with TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek to record their debut album. Stay tuned to ickyblossoms.com for studio updates and tour news.
* Conduits, another rapidly-rising local act, have also signed with a locally-known record label. New York-based Team Love Record, which Bright Eyes' Conor Oberst co-founded, will release the band's self-titled debut March 20th. Conduits, fronted by singer Jenna Morrison, are also setting up a local show in March to celebrate the release.
* The So-So Sailors' debut EP Young Hearts is now available at Homer's Music, 1210 Howard St., or Antiquarium Records, 417 S. 13th St., just in case fans want to pick it up before a show. The six-song disc, which the band released in December 2011, is also available digitally on iTunes.
* Capitol Jazz Society have announced several dates for their Monday night big band showcase, as well has a host of Wednesday night events. All events will be held at Brewsky's Jazz Underground, 201 N. 8th St. in Lincoln. Wednesday night acts include the Bob Krueger Combo on January 25th and Rod Scheps/Frank Basile Quartet April 4th. The first big band night is January 23th with Bob Krueger directing. For more information, visit the Capitol Jazz Society's Facebook page.
* Local singer-songwriter Mitch Gettman is relocating to Chicago at the end of February, but before he bids Omaha farewell, he has set up two going-away shows. His full band will convene Monday, Jan. 23rd at the Slowdown, while Gettman will also play a solo acoustic gig at the Lauter Tun, 3309 Oakview Drive, Suite 102 Saturday, Jan. 28th. The solo show is $5, while the admission for the Slowdown show is still to be announced. Gettman released his first full-length debut We Are the Mad Ones late in 2011.