* Congratulations to The Big Deep for winning the audience vote at the Omaha Entertainment & Arts Awards summer showcase, which took place July 8 and 9 in downtown Benson. The local indie-folk Americana band will open the Maha Music Festival Saturday, August 13 at Aksarben Village.
* The Omaha Girls Rock camp is underway on the campus of the University of Nebraska-Omaha. The week-long camp is targeted at girls ages 8-18. The event, which groups its campers into bands, seeks to teach self-esteem and empowerment. The event culminates with a showcase Saturday, July 16 at the Slowdown, 729 North 14th St. In addition to featuring an original song for each of the seven camp bands, there will be performances by Honeybee & Hers, Jessica Errett, Arrica Rose and Tara Vaughan.
* Drummer Jeff Lambelet (Digital Leather, Watching the Train Wreck, Saudi Arabia) will play drums with M.O.T.O., the long-running punk-pop project of Paul Caporino of Chicago, for one night. The duo will play Brothers Lounge, 3812 Farnam St. Thursday, July 14 at 9 p.m. Digital Leather and the Prairies are also on the bill. The show is $5 at the door.
* Saddle Creek Shop, 721 North 14th St., will host performances by Orenda Fink and the Mynabirds as part of its grand opening celebration Saturday, July 23 between noon and 6 p.m. There will also be DJ sets from the Faint's Todd Fink, Commander Venus' Matt Bowen and Tilly & the Wall's Derek Presnall. In addition to the free entertainment, the event promises free food, door prizes and commemorative merchandise.
* Those who missed Billy McGuigan's Yesterday & Today Beatles tribute show at the Omaha Community Playhouse have a chance to hear Beatles' favorites in a club setting Friday, August 19 at the Waiting Room Lounge, 6212 Maple St. If only this is a precursor to a Waiting Room performance of Rave On, McGuigan's dynamic Buddy Holly tribute show.
* Recently announced One Percent Productions' bookings will turn Japanese for a week in October, thanks to shows by noise-rockers Melt Banana on October 10 and avant-metal icons Boris October 16. Also recently announced was a Halloween night Cold War Kids show at the Slowdown.