Before you read the answers to his Ten Questions survey, let me try to explain singer/songwriter Kevin Morby’s connection to Omahan Simon Joyner. Morby may be best known as the bassist for indie band Woods (though he also formed a band called The Babies), which has recorded seven albums on Woodsist Records, which has released albums by Kurt Vile, The Oh Sees, Real Estate aaaand... Simon Joyner. In fact, Joyner performed at the label’s “Woodsist Festival” a couple years ago.
So it’s a shame that Joyner won’t be at Morby’s show Aug. 28 at Reverb (because Simon’s currently on tour with David Nance). The good news is you’ll be able to hear Morby perform songs off City Music, his new LP on Dead Oceans Records. The album is an urban counter-point to his 2016 rural collection Singing Saw. That record pulled from Dylan and Cohen for influences, while City Music was influenced by Lou Reed and Patti Smith (and has similarities to Kurt Vile’s output).
1. What is your favorite album?
Kevin Morby: Skeleton Blues by Simon Joyner.
2. What is your least favorite song?
Any song not by Simon Joyner.
3. What do you enjoy most about being in a band?
Having played with and met Simon Joyner.
4. What do you hate about being in a band?
That I’m not as good as Simon Joyner.
5. What is your favorite substance (legal or illegal)?
6. In what city or town do you love to perform?
Omaha, Nebraska, because maybe Simon will come.
7. What city or town did you have your worst gig (and why)?
Last night and everywhere that Simon Joyner was not in the audience.
8. Are you able to support yourself through your music? If so, how long did it take to get there; if not, how do you pay your bills?
I am a full time musician to cover the bills, and devout Simon Joyner fan as hobby.
9. What one profession other than music would you like to attempt; what one profession would you absolutely hate to do?
Simon Joyner guitar tech is attempt. Something I’d hate to do is be a cop.
10. What are the stories you’ve heard about Omaha, Nebraska?
That Simon Joyner lives there.
Kevin Morby plays with Shannon Lay Aug. 28 at Reverb Lounge, 6121 Military Ave. Tickets are $12, showtime is 9 p.m. For more information, go to onepercentproductions.com