* Backbeat wants to pass on a somber note about the Reader’s very own MojoPo, who passed away earlier this week. Besides being our weekly astrological guide, Michael Joseph Pryor also made his mark on the city’s blues scene as an accomplished blues harpist and someone who had a reputation for jamming with just about anyone. We will miss your music, your insights and most of all, your friendship.
* The Kris Lager Band will help launch the new home of the Hive Lounge with a live performance Saturday, November 30th. The Hive originally opened just west of downtown, but have since relocated to the Old Market at 1207 Harney St. The venue, inspired by owner Jake Gardner’s love for local rock icons 311, regularly features live music and plans to continue that mission in their new location.
* Almost Music, the new Benson record store at 6569 Maple St., will start hosting a regular live music series in December. The first scheduled performance is Saturday, December 7th at 7 p.m. and will feature live sets by Dereck Higgins, Rake Kash and the Luke Polipnick Esoteric Trio. The series will focus in on musical experimentation and exploration and is curated by Almost Music owner Brad Smith and local guitarist Luke Polipnick.
* House of Loom will dedicate Saturday, November 30th to raising funds for the Phillipines, which sustained significant damages from Typhoon Haiyan earlier in November. Loom will pair its message of cultural awareness and community involvement with a night of dance, starting with tango dancing and incorporating live R&B and Filipino folk dance, as well as live art. Dancers from tangOmaha! and Omaha Jitterbugs will be on hand to get the dance floor moving, while local R&B musician Cristina B. will perform. DJs Wrekafekt and Brent Crampton will man the DJ booth during the evening. Admission is a $5 minimum donation, which proceeds gonig to the Lions Club International Foundation Typhoon Haiyan Disaster Relief fund.
* Local DJs will celebrate the 21st anniversary of Dr. Dre’s The Chronic. The album first was released on December 15, 1992. DJ Shor-T and DJ Skyscraper will spin selections from the era Saturday, December 14th at House of Loom, 1012 South 10th St., to mark the occasion.