Frankie Cosmos is Greta Kline, a NYC singer/songwriter/rocker who writes, sings and performs heartbeat-powered indie rock that recalls the best of K Records. That’s a shorthand way of saying her music is mostly quiet soul-searching personal love songs with a kick deftly supplied by a first-rate band that includes Aaron Maine of the band Porches.
It should be added (for the record) that Greta is the daughter of Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates, which, one might say, doesn’t matter, but let’s face it, it does. You can’t grow up in that house surrounded by those people without having some talent rub off on you. It also shouldn’t matter that Pitchfork gave her latest album, Next Thing (Bayonet, 2016) an 8.5 rating and a “Best New Music” designation, but it does, because, let’s face it, lots of people read Pitchfork. All of this is part of the reason Sunday night’s show at Milk Run is sold out (that, and the fact that Milk Run is only slightly larger than my closet).
We asked Frankie a.k.a. Greta to take our Ten Questions survey and here’s what she had to say:
1. What is your favorite album?
Frankie Cosmos: One Foot In The Grave by Beck
2. What is your least favorite song?
I don’t usually listen to music that I don’t like so I don’t really know, but we listened to “Hoes in My Room” by Ludacris in the car today and it was pretty awful.
3. What do you enjoy most about being in a band?
Connecting with my bandmates when we play together.
4. What do you hate about being in a band?
Getting sick or feeling emotionally drained on tour sometimes.
5. What is your favorite substance (legal or illegal)?
Dogs or water.
6. In what city or town do you love to perform?
New York (my home)
7. What city or town did you have your worst gig (and why)?
No such thing as a bad gig. Our weirdest ever was in Fargo ND but it was still awesome.
8. How do you pay your bills?
Touring, and selling records and stuff.
9. What one profession other than music would you like to attempt; what one profession would you absolutely hate to do?
I’d like to attempt teaching. I would hate to be an astronaut cause it’s like touring times a zillion (in terms of being away from home and out of ur element)
10. What are the stories you’ve heard about Omaha, Nebraska?
Yo I heard that Anna McClellan is from there. That’s a pretty good story.
Frankie Cosmos plays with Eskimeaux, Yowler and Anna McClellan Sunday, April 24, at Milk Run, 1907 Leavenworth St. Showtime is 9 p.m. The show is SOLD OUT. For more information, visit facebook.com/milkrunomaha