“What are we saying about Omaha if we begin to criminalize the act of expressing a constitutional right?” says activist, JaKeen Fox.
View our guide to local resources at TheReader.com
Your Top Local Stories
- The Douglas County health director is looking to local health experts to help establish parameters for reopening Omaha schools.
- During the 10-day stretch of protests starting at the end of May, Omaha police earned $2.5 million in overtime.
- Chanda Chacón was selected as the president and CEO of Omaha’s Children’s Hospital.
- The Latino Center of the Midlands handed out fresh produce, masks, hygiene kits and sports equipment to people lined up in their cars at a drive-thru giveaway yesterday.
- The Douglas County health director addressed the known COVID-19 cases among Omaha, student-athletes and the future of fall sports in school at a Douglas County Health Board meeting.
- A North Omaha fratenal organization that provides scholarships and community outreach was robbed last night.
- Seventy people collected applications at the Urban League of Nebraska’s drive-thru job job fair yesterday.
- The Omaha Santa Lucia festival will return for two days in August with social distancing guidelines.
Around the State
- A plan to close a troubled youth center in Geneva and open a new center for female juvenile offenders in Hastings was announced yesterday.
- Several nonprofit groups sent letters calling for the removal of police from schools to Nebraska superintendents.
- Governor Pete Ricketts launched a new website to track Nebraska’s CARES Act aid spending and publish public health information.