“Amidst a new social reform movement finding its moment in history, solidarity grows in the Black Lives Matter model of leaderful change,” Leo Adam Biga writes.
View our guide to local resources at TheReader.com
Your Top Local Stories
- There will not be a new student code of conduct for OPS schools this year. The school board could not agree on how to address the reporting of third-degree sexual assaults.
- Mayor Jean Stothert announced that she will not pull any funding from the Omaha police department and gave OPD a 1.2% increase for 2021.
- Mayor Jean Stothert proposed next year’s city budget that prioritizes a new waste contract, a police body camera system and an increase in community programs.
- A group of protestors was escorted out of city chambers after interrupting Mayor Jean Stothert’s budget proposal to call for the defunding of police.
Around the State
- The Nebraska teachers union criticized Governor Pete Ricketts for not mandating masks in all schools.
- Nebraska lawmakers voted to discuss a bill that would ban a method of second-trimester abortion in this legislative session.
- A Republican Party official called for the censure of State Sen. Ernie Chambers over his recent criticisms of State Sen. Julie Slama.
- Hyvee released a plan to hand out three million free masks to customers, but will not require masks in their stores.
- The state legislature gave its final approval to a bill that will allow college-athletes to be paid for endorsements or product promotions.
- Due to limited testing supplies, CHI health hospitals are no longer requiring patients undergoing elective surgeries to take a COVID-19 test.
What to do during quarantine?
From our list of things to do during quarantine:
Check out more coverage online at TheReader.com
The Omaha Reader
4734 S 27th St #1