Would anyone ordinarily go to the basement or garage, grab a bottle of pesticide and chug it down? Didn’t think so. Most of those folks are under heavy sedation. But every time you go to the kitchen for a snack or eat a meal, you’re probably ingesting bug killer. The pesticide I’m describing is found in thousands of products and likely in whatever you might prepare for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And for sure, whenever you eat conventional processed food or soda, you’re getting dosed.

The culprit is corn. And right now, corn or a derivative of it is in almost everything we eat. Bread, milk, pasta, pizza, salad dressing, yogurt, cookies, soup, ketchup, peanut butter, mayonnaise, hamburger patties — the list is virtually endless. And since corn’s now grown on almost every square inch of dirt in this country, it’s found in almost everything in the average American’s life.

Don’t call it “maize” Make no mistake, what you see growing in the fields of the great Cornhusker State and all the vast reaches of our land is not the corn of our forefathers. It took less than a generation to replace our traditional corn with a new, toxic bug killer. What you see now isn’t food — until it is severely processed by one of the corporate agricultural giants. From them we get animal food, corn syrup, corn meal, cornstarch, the vitamin D added to your milk, adhesive on envelopes, aspirin coating, maltodextrin and of course, high fructose corn syrup and ethanol. Unfortunately, we get a lot more from them and most of it isn’t good.

What’s most important for you to know is that the corn you drive by in the country (with corn prices so high, even those vacant lots in suburbia,) that corn is registered by law with the Environmental Protection Agency as a pesticide. That corn kills things. And there is enough suspicion it’s harmful to humans that we should pay attention.

So what made the EPA tell the industry it had to register corn as a pesticide? It was the decision by Big Ag to develop and promote the use of genetically modified corn containing an artificially inserted gene from a bacterium known as Bacillus thuringiensis resulting in what is known as GMO Bt corn. Corn root worm is bad for corn. Bt bacteria kills corn root worm because Bt creates a deadly toxin. By genetically modifying corn DNA, Big Ag turned corn into a poisonous plant. When a corn worm eats it, the worm dies. (Note: in a typical trump by Nature, insects are beginning to develop a resistance to Bt corn.)

How Bt kills Genetically modifying the corn plant means that every single cell in the plant is now a miniature poison factory. Root, tassel, kernel, husks, stalks — every part of the plant produces the Bt toxin. When a worm munches on the corn, the toxin immediately binds to the bug’s gut. The bug stops eating within minutes and very shortly, the toxin eats through the gut wall and the bug dies. Sadly, less than 10 percent of the toxin is in the roots where it is needed against — wait for it — root worm. But all the rest of the plant contains the Bt toxin. And guess what? Now you do, too. Scientists found Bt toxin in the blood of 93 percent of subjects tested. 93 percent. And Big Ag has always contended that the toxin degrades in the human intestine. Apparently not. If it’s in the blood stream, it’s circulating to all the organs and the rest of the body. I bet the Bt toxin is doing exactly what Nature intended: attacking the gut wall of any animal ingesting it. Such a scenario in humans would mean ulcerative colitis or diverticulitis.

It’s official The EPA looked at GMO corn and required companies to register Bt varieties as pesticides. But the EPA, though recognizing Bt toxin is poison, is not the agency trusted with safeguarding food. That’s left up to the USDA and the FDA. They have no problem with Bt corn and don’t warn us about the fact that we’re eating pesticide.

Avoid and conquer Obviously, if one wants to avoid eating the pesticide growing in corn, decisions must be made. Is processed food, fast food, food prepared in ways and with ingredients you know nothing about worth the risk? It is not hard to avoid Bt products when we choose organic or whole foods. An apple, a squash, an eggplant or a carrot aren’t going to have Bt toxin in each cell.

Remember, this Bt poison has only been prevalent in our diet for about ten years. We’re just beginning to realize the effects of this toxic experiment in which we are the guinea pigs. No one really knows what the final estimation will be.

Bt toxin is bug killer. You’re eating it. Now you know. Eat better. If asked to voice an opinion about labeling GMO food, then act. “The end of all knowledge should be in virtuous action.” – Sir Philip Sydney

Be well.

Heartland Healing is a New Age polemic describing alternatives to conventional methods of healing the body, mind and planet. It is provided as information and entertainment, certainly not medical advice. It is not an endorsement of any particular therapy, either by the writer or The Reader. Visit HeartlandHealing.com for more information.

Subscribe to The Reader Newsletter

Our awesome email newsletter briefing tells you everything you need to know about what’s going on in Omaha. Delivered to your inbox every day at 11:00am.

Become a Supporting Member

Subscribe to thereader.com and become a supporting member to keep locally owned news alive. We need to pay writers, so you can read even more. We won’t waste your time, our news will focus, as it always has, on the stories other media miss and a cultural community — from arts to foods to local independent business — that defines us. Please support your locally-owned news media by becoming a member today.

Leave a comment