Help Us Reinvent Media!
We have freelance, part-time and full-time positions available depending on the timing and the candidate. As a growing and nimble company, we’re always looking for the right people to work with to stay on the edge of media’s transformation with an equity-first focus.
Please email a cover letter, 3-5 work samples and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Bilingual and cultural proficiency skills always a big plus. Attitude and work ethic define success here. Current positions of focus include:
(July 2022) POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
Could You Be The Reader’s Next Backbeat Columnist?
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 19, 2022
To apply for this job, please send a cover letter with three writing samples and resume to email@example.com
From profiling new bands to telling readers about trends to watch, The Reader’s Backbeat column is an authoritative voice in Omaha’s local music scene. Through at least two monthly stories, one online and in print, past columnists have investigated an uptick in Omaha venues, spotlighted talented underground music and explored the future of the city’s DIY scene. The ultimate goal is to put artists front and center, bringing their stories to life with an authentic, unique voice.
Backbeat’s primary goal is putting local musicians front and center.
Payment is a $250 per month stipend.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong interviewing skills, excellent written communication and/or formal journalism training
- Curiosity about all aspects of the local music scene in all parts of Omaha
- A desire to seek out under-reported stories
- You will be responsible for pitching monthly topics and meeting monthly deadlines
- Backbeat provides one online article and one print column about 800 words apiece each month. All content appearing in the paper is copy edited.
Digital Content Editor, hybrid in- person/remote
This position will be accepting applications through in fall 2022.
For a detailed description of the position, click here.
*Note: Applicants must have a strong knowledge of Omaha and its culture.
The Reader, Nebraska’s only nationally-recognized alternative newsmonthly, seeks a full-time Digital Content Editor to develop and maintain the publication’s digital presence via a variety of content, including social media posts, blogs, feature stories and event listings, with special attention given to driving increased traffic and brand visibility. A successful Digital Content Editor will combine their tech savvy with a passion to create and share meaningful material.
- Developing strategies for generating meaningful content that garners a high volume of visits, and encourages awareness of and excitement around the publication
- Weekly planning with editorial staff to locate galleries and online-only content opportunities that enhance the publication, as well as to develop seasonally appropriate content for holidays and special issues
- Planning daily and weekly blogs that draw people to the site on a regular basis
- Contributing original content
- Managing and encouraging a diverse team of staff, interns and freelance contributors to provide a daily supply of material
- Collaborating with sales associate to coordinate the promotion of campaigns, events and Readers’ Choice
- Editing copy for readability or converting longer content to a more digestible format
- Interpreting and adjusting print feature stories and headlines for digital audiences
- Achieving page view, unique visitor and other monthly goals set by the publisher; analyzing data and responding appropriately
- Managing/overseeing the publication’s social media presence
- Thorough knowledge of Omaha culture
- Excellent understanding of the special requirements of writing for the Web as opposed to writing for print articles, and the ability to distinguish between the two
- Strong online traffic analytical skills enabling adjustment of content production based on site performance and traffic patterns
- Familiarity with and working knowledge of WordPress, Google Analytics, Google AMP compatibility, and all major social media platforms
- Strong understanding of industry best practices
- Proven success with implementing SEO practices, as well as generating increased traffic in social media
- Starts at $36,000, based on experience
- Simple IRA
- Hybrid in-person/remote
Interested? Please send a resume, cover letter and 3-4 writing samples to Lynn Sanchez, Creative Services Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have questions? Feel free to also send those to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
Internships Available at The Reader
Internship Start Dates:
- Spring Jan 1 – April 30
- Summer May 1 – Aug 31
- Fall Sept 1 – Dec. 31
The Reader is always accepting applications for our spring, summer and fall internships in editorial, business management and more. Interns are treated like, and expected to be, full members of the team. That means covering breaking news, writing cover stories, producing podcasts, managing advertising and doing the million other things that help The Reader serve our community. If internships aren’t available and you’d still like to contribute, we’re always looking for new freelancers too.
Application requirements and deadlines will be included in specific job postings. But if you think you’d make a good addition to the team, or have questions about how you can get involved with The Reader, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
El Perico and The Reader Editorial Interns
Minimum request of 10-15 hours a week
- Assist with news, culture reporting and social media. Our coverage includes stories about news, art, food and music with enough freedom to follow many of your own ideas
- Create multimedia reporting projects, contribute to online content and social media management
- Work with community contributors, empower community storytelling and engagement
- Learn about print production including pre-press, layout and design and proofing
- Tracking and listing local events
- Assisting with our daily Reed Moore newsletter
- Additional duties as assigned
- Monthly stipend
Pioneer Media Marketing or Sales Internship
Minimum request of 10-15 hours a week
- Help local businesses understand their customers with advanced research and data techniques
- Work with an official Grow with Google City Partner
- Implement educational and consultative approaches that help businesses drive the best results based on their needs, not the products we can sell. Build trust by bringing value.
- Collaborate on creative content for marketing, SEO and advertising campaigns
- Assist businesses with the fundamentals of Identity SEO and foundational marketing, including a number of complimentary services
- Help build, track and optimize integrated campaigns across multiple online and offline channels
- Monthly stipend
Full Time Business Development | Manager
Work directly with the publisher on educating, servicing and growing a clientele ranging from Fortune 1000 companies to mom-and-pop small businesses. We stringently take a client-first consultative approach centered in business results, digital strategy and organic growth (particularly content marketing, search engine optimization and conversion optimization) that delivers the best long-term ROMI for our customers and establishes deep, long-lasting relationships. As we shifted from relying entirely on advertising starting in 2008, we’ve stood up a significant “boutique” agency — PioneerMedia — that is team-focused, offering full-scope services or niche deliverables as an independent agency, trusted partner or white-label provider. We deliver the highest value not only in our client’s business results, but in our ability to educate and empower them to make holistic marketing decisions.
Very little outbound activity, most inbound or referral. It is our goal to bring this skill set to other alternative and ethnic media and we are fostering many local and national relationships along these lines.
Compensation: $35,000-$60,000 annual base based on experience and ability with significant commission opportunities. Health insurance compensation and 401k included. Profit-sharing and employee ownership coming.