As people swarmed a United States Capitol Police officer, Brandon Straka, 44, of Omaha yelled orders. “Take it away from him. Take the shield!” Straka yells in a video from the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The crowd grabs the officer’s shield as STRAKA yells, “Take it! Take it!” Straka is currently in federal custody.
Reed Moore’s Daily Rundown
Today we have stories about a forum with Omaha mayoral candidates, Omaha’s snow emergency continuing through Tuesday and changes to the state’s DACA laws.
- A forum hosted by Culxr House and NOISE on Saturday touched on several issues the city is facing.
- Omaha-area mental health care providers are seeing an influx of patients.
- Omaha’s snow emergency continues with no announced end date.
- Monday’s snowstorm resulted in a busy day for members of the Nebraska State Patrol.
- State Sen. Mike McDonnell of Omaha urged colleagues to change state law so DACA recipients can receive unemployment payments.
Reed Moore’s Things To Do
Stream Films With Film Streams
Movie theaters have reopened during the pandemic, but it’s understandable to not want to sit in an enclosed space with others for about 2 hours. Thankfully, it is possible to support Omaha’s independent theater, Film Streams, from home.
Film Streams also offers curbside concession pickups every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Items available include popcorn, snacks, and even alcoholic drinks.