Excluding grocery stores, shopping opportunities are abundant in the Omaha metro, with more than a thousand stores open for business.
By the numbers
The number of stores in the Omaha area was 1,148 as of February 2018, according to data courtesy of SalesGenie. That includes clothing stores, specialty shops, department stores and just about any other retailer that doesn’t focus on groceries or industrial products.
The state’s projected employment in retail is expected to grow to just under 30,000 people by 2020, the Nebraska Department of Labor says.
Where are all the stores?
According to the SalesGenie data, the largest number of restaurants in the Omaha metro is in Douglas County with 806, while Sarpy County runs a distant second with 189.
Shopping is more than just the acquisition of things for some people – it can quickly evolve into an experience or hobby.
Predictions by local authorities paint a bright picture for Omaha’s shopping scene in the coming years despite recent closings among some national chains.
Want to learn more about the restaurant industry in Omaha? Check out these helpful resources:
- 2022 Personal Shopping and Services Category Winners
- 2021 Personal Shopping and Services Category Winners
- 2020 Personal Shopping and Services Category Winners
- 2019 Personal Shopping and Services Category Winners
Readers’ Choice Recognition Levels
Readers’ Choice Best of the Big O Winners fall into four levels of recognition, but can only fall into one per category. Every nomination is a “Best Of” vote, and often very small percentages separate the levels of recognition. Because there are so many businesses in each category, a small percentage of the total nominations can lift your business into one of these recognition levels. Your business is truly among the best of an often very crowded field or industry.
1) Readers’ Choice Best of the Big O: Any winner with more than 50% of the votes cast in that category or the top vote-getter. Only one winner unless it’s a tie.
2) Readers’ Choice: Any vote-getter with at least 20% of the votes cast in that category or up to the next top two vote-getters after Readers’ Choice Best of the Big O with at least 10% of the votes cast in that category.
3) Readers’ Recommended: Any vote-getter with at least 10% of the votes cast in that category or up to the next top three vote-getters after Readers’ Choice with at least 5% of the votes cast in that category.
4) Readers’ Refer: Any vote-getter with at least 5% of the votes cast in that category or the top vote-getters to round out six winners in a category.