Passengers from a cruise ship where a hantavirus outbreak occurred who are quarantining at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha have yet to show any symptoms, but it’s unclear yet when any of them will be allowed to leave.
That was the assessment of officials at a news conference Friday that took place one day after one of the passengers told NPR she’s “being imprisoned” at the National Quarantine Unit.
There are 18 passengers from the MV Hondus at the quarantine center. Sixteen of them arrived 12 days ago after evacuating from the ship. Two others came later after initially spending time in Atlanta.
Federal officials originally said those who wanted to leave the facility and quarantine at home would be able to, but they have since pivoted and are now requiring the passengers to stay.
On Thursday, 47-year-old Angela Perryman said she tried to leave on Monday but was handed an order from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention requiring her to stay.
“I am angry. I feel betrayed,” Perryman told NPR. “I’m being imprisoned. It’s a nice prison. But this is a prison. Let’s be clear: I am being detained against my will.”
The CDC confirmed it issued quarantine orders to two passengers, without naming them.
Most of the remaining passengers have chosen to stay in Omaha voluntarily to quarantine as long as needed.
“Everyone’s been very cooperative with the process, and we really appreciate that very much,” said Dr. Michael Wadman, director of the National Quarantine Unit.
The incubation period for hantavirus can be as long as 42 days, although most people show symptoms within about three weeks. The ship’s crew first notified authorities about the outbreak on May 2.
There have been two new cases that have been confirmed in the past week: a Canadian passenger who had been evacuated to that country and a member of the ship’s crew who is in the Netherlands. That brings the confirmed number of cases to 12, with three deaths.
Dr. Jeffrey Gold, president of the University of Nebraska and a former chancellor of UNMC, said the fact that cases continue to pop up does influence what’s happening with the patients at UNMC.
“Of course, it does,” Gold said. “You know, any case, any symptoms, any positive test anywhere gives us more information about the biology of this viral illness, and it, as you know, any good scientific approach would be it influences our decision-making.”
As for whether the passengers will have to stay in Omaha or the full 42 days, Wadman said that’s up to the CDC, and decisions will be made on an individual basis.
“I think there’s many that would really like to be home and are either elected to stay here for the full period or are wanting to go home earlier, and I think each of those will be evaluated on an individual basis, and, according to what is decided by the CDC, there’s potential that some may leave before the 42 days,” he said.
Officials also were asked about the Ebola outbreak in Africa and whether the UNMC facility could be called into action as it was to treat two American doctors in 2014.
Gov. Jim Pillen said the facility doesn’t have the capacity to handle more patients right now, but it will be ready to be called into action once the current patients depart.
“Whenever the day comes that the guests go home, this facility be wide open for Ebola,” Pillen said.
