Read past Reed Moore daily newsletters
- MarQ Manner profiles the lineups of this year’s Maha and Outlandia festivals.
- The City of Omaha’s Human Rights and Relations Director resigns after just three months on the job.
- One Democratic senator helps Republicans give first-round approval to a six-week abortion ban.
Here Come the Festivals
Omaha’s musical past and present share the stage at Maha and Outlandia.
By MarQ Manner. Published in The Reader.
The City of Omaha’s Human Rights and Relations director resigns after just three months on the job. Gerald Kuhn was appointed by Mayor Jean Stothert in January. Stothert’s office did not offer any reason for the resignation.
A two-alarm fire at Wintersong Apartments, near 88th and Miami streets, critically injures one woman. Fire crews say they didn’t see smoke detectors in the building, a potential violation of state law. Meanwhile, in Bellevue, all tenants (potentially except for a cat) escape a three-alarm fire at Country Estate Apartments.
PACE holds its first community event since the beginning of a federal investigation. The youth sports nonprofit says there’s no timeline into when the results will be shared. Police Chief Todd Schmaderer says he’s concerned PACE was used for criminal activity.
- Until April 4: Voices of Choice
- April 6: Joseph Broghammer Opening Reception
- April 7: Brian Tait – Also Known As
- Until April 7: Jada Messick – I Still Haven’t Found a Therapist
- Until April 12: Jing Huang – Visiting Artist in Ceramics
Be sure to get the updated booster shot before heading to any of these events.
Legislature: Senators vote 33-16 to give first-round approval to a six-week abortion ban. All 32 Republicans and one Democrat, Sen. Mike McDonnell, voted in favor.
Statewide, the Ogallala Aquifer is doing well, especially compared with other states. But in parts of southwest and northwest Nebraska, the declining water level has prompted regulation and monitoring, with some experts saying it’s changed irrigation farming.
Wildfires continue to burn across Nebraska. Lincoln, Wheeler, Rock, Garfield, Jefferson and Cherry counties have had major fires across the last week, with Jefferson County seeing one of its largest.
Public Meetings Next Week, Courtesy of Omaha Documenters:
- Omaha Streetcar Authority – Monday, April 17, at 1:30 p.m.
- Douglas County Board of Commissioners – Tuesday, April 18, at 9 a.m.
- Omaha City Council – Tuesday, April 18, at 2 p.m.
- Omaha Library Board of Trustees – Wednesday, April 19, at 5 p.m.
- Omaha Public Power District – Thursday, April 20, at 5 p.m.
Fact of the Day
From Harper’s Index
Percentage of U.S. employees who have used
ChatGPT for work but didn’t disclose it: 68
Source: Fishbowl (San Francisco)
To view the full Doonesbury comic,
plus more daily funnies, click the image or the link below.
LIKE WHAT YOU REED?
CONNECT WITH THE READER:
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, email@example.com