Thursday, June 18 • 18 Days Under New DHM • 4 Days until Phase III
After 500+ free issues distributed over 26 years, The Reader needs you.
View our guide to local resources at TheReader.com
Your Top Local Stories
- The owner of 11-Worth Cafe, which endured protests and threats this week over a menu item named after a Confederate general and a racist post seemingly made by the business owner’s son, has closed for good.
- Chris Janicek says he has no plan of exiting the race for U.S. Senate, but leaders who called on him to drop out are starting to eye other options.
- The shopping, music and food of Junkstock will return this weekend along with new sanitation and social distancing standards.
- The Douglas County Board of Health has declared racism a public health emergency.
- So far June in Omaha has been a historic scorcher, but some cooler days might be on the way.
- Mahoney State Park will start restoring overnight lodging.
- In Gretna, community members gathered and released balloons in honor of the four teenagers who lost their lives in a car accident one year ago.
Around the State
- Gov. Pete Ricketts says local governments cannot require citizens to wear face masks if they want their CARES Act money.
- After the NCAA approved its preseason calendar, college football seasons can now officially start on time.
- A “workers first” caravan rallied to raise awareness and support for the federal HEROES Act, which would offer more protections and securities to frontline workers.
- Sen. Ben Sasse offered his support for federal police reform legislation and said police unions need to be held more accountable, which didn’t sit well with Omaha’s police union head.
- Disability Rights Nebraska filed a federal complaint against the state for its “inaccessible” TestNebraska program.
- The petition to get medical marijuana on the November ballot has 13 days to reach 120,000 signatures. Organizers say they’re close to that goal, even with losing two months of work due to the coronavirus.
What to do during quarantine?
From our list of things to do during quarantine:
Sign Up for a Local CSA
Check out more coverage online at TheReader.com
The Omaha Reader
4734 S 27th St #1