The Omaha metro comes to life when the sun goes down. With some 240 area businesses classified as bars, pubs or dance clubs, the opportunity for a fun night out is ample.
By the numbers
The actual number of Omaha businesses attributed to nightlife is 241 as of February 2018, according to data courtesy of SalesGenie.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics places the number of bartenders across the U.S. at 611,200 in 2016 with an expected slower than average job growth. In Nebraska, bartending is expected to experience continued growth through 2020, according to the Nebraska Department of Labor.
Where is the nightlife in Omaha?
Nightlife options -including bars, pubs and dance clubs – are spread throughout the Omaha area, with the largest concentration, not surprisingly, in the Old Market area, per the SalesGenie data.
Nightlife establishments offer entertainment to patrons, typically focused on the after-dinner hours. Nebraska law places all bar closing times at or before 2 a.m.
Want to learn more about nightlife in Omaha? Check out these helpful resources:
- 2023 Nightlife and Play Category Winners
- 2022 Nightlife and Play Category Winners
- 2021 Nightlife and Play Category Winners
- 2020 Nightlife and Play Category Winners
- 2019 Nightlife and Play Category Winners
Readers’ Choice Recognition Levels
Readers’ Choice Best of the Big O Winners fall into four levels of recognition, but can only fall into one per category. Every nomination is a “Best Of” vote, and often very small percentages separate the levels of recognition. Because there are so many businesses in each category, a small percentage of the total nominations can lift your business into one of these recognition levels. Your business is truly among the best of an often very crowded field or industry.
1) Readers’ Choice Best of the Big O: Any winner with more than 50% of the votes cast in that category or the top vote-getter. Only one winner unless it’s a tie. (Ativan)
2) Readers’ Choice: Any vote-getter with at least 20% of the votes cast in that category or up to the next top two vote-getters after Readers’ Choice Best of the Big O with at least 10% of the votes cast in that category.
3) Readers’ Recommended: Any vote-getter with at least 10% of the votes cast in that category or up to the next top three vote-getters after Readers’ Choice with at least 5% of the votes cast in that category.
4) Readers’ Refer: Any vote-getter with at least 5% of the votes cast in that category or the top vote-getters to round out six winners in a category.